Click black buttons below to be directed to detailed information.
- Must be a US citizen
- Must have been a resident of the precinct at least 30 days prior to Election Day
- Must be at least 18 years of age by Election Day
- Must be at least 17 years of age to vote in a General Primary if individual will be 18 as of the following General Election
- Not claim the right to vote in another state
- Not be in prison/jail serving time for a conviction of a felony.
(Note: Ex-convicts who have completed their sentences and who meet all other requirements listed above are eligible to register and vote in Illinois.)
Register to vote online with your driver's license or Illinois state ID card, last four digits of your Social Security number, date of birth, and the date your license or state ID card was issued.
register By mail
Download and print the Illinois state voter registration form.
Mail the completed form to the following address:
Illinois State Board of Elections
2329 S. MacArthur Blvd.
Springfield, IL 62704
register In person
Obtain a voter registration form from the Board of Elections Office or download it here.
City of Chicago Residents:
69 W. Washington, 6th Floor
Chicago, IL 60602
Cook County Residents (not Chicago residents):
69 W. Washington, 5th Floor
Chicago, IL 60602
Regular registration is open year round except during the 27-day period just prior to an election and during the 2-day period after each election (1 day after in Chicago).
Grace period registration is an extension of the regular registration deadline from the 27th day prior to an election through Election Day. Grace period registration is only available “in-person” at sites authorized by each election authority.
When, Where & How to Register to Vote for the March 20 Primary Election
- Register to vote online. Use your IL driver's license or state ID card to register to vote. Deadline: 11:59 pm, Sun., March 4
- Update your registration online (new address or name change). Use your IL driver's license or state ID card to update your registration. Deadline: 11:59 pm, Sun., March 4
- Use this downloadable mail-in form. Fill in the blanks, print it, sign it and deliver it or mail it. Deadline: 11:59 pm, Tue., Feb. 20.
- Register at Early Voting from Feb. 8 through March 19.
- Visit an Illinois Secretary of State's Office only if also obtaining a new driver's license or state ID during that visit.